We’re making cozy pets to keep us company in the winter! Come join us in this craft-a-long and make a sock dragon of your very own!
…crafting online? Download a PDF of the instructions here…
- Socks (any sock will do, although kids crew socks are about the right size)
- A large cup for filling your dragon with
- Rice or Beans, about 2-4 cups per dragon
(unless you are using men’s socks, in which case you may need more)
- Tulle for wings
- Felt or cloth scraps for flames
- Buttons or googly eyes for eyes
- Markers to decorate your sock
- Sequins, pompoms, and other dragon decorating bling
- Glue Gun or Tacky Glue
- Warm Dragon Variant: Needle and thread
Steps to Make It
- Fill a large cup with rice or beans
- Stretch the top of the sock over the cup and hold it on while you turn the cup upside-down.
All the rice should fit in your sock.
- Hold your sock open end up and lay it down carefully to keep the rice from falling out!
- Use a glue gun to glue your dragon flame onto the inside edge of your sock opening.
- Glue the sock opening shut so that the flame is in the middle.
- To make wings. take 1-3 strips of tulle about 12-18″ long and tie them together in the middle with a knot to make fluffy wings
- Hot glue the wings on the dragon’s back — be careful, tulle lets hot glue through
- Glue buttons or googly eyes onto your dragon’s head (or anywhere else)
- You can use yarn, tulle, felt, or cloth scraps to make a tail.
- Use sequins, markers, and any other bling you have to decorate your dragon!
Warm Sock Dragon Variant:
- Use a needle and thread to attach the tongue and close your sock dragon’s mouth (you may want to do two rows of stitching to prevent rice leakage)
- Make sure your dragon’s décor is microwave-safe (no metallic sequins! Use lace not nylon tulle! Use thread to attach everything!)
- Make your dragon warm by putting it in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds (depending on microwave power)