DIY Dragon Puppets
Come craft a dragon puppet to celebrate the Lunar New Year! This year it’s on Friday the 12th of February, so we’re celebrating a little bit in advance…
There are many different ways to celebrate the Lunar New Year — this is just one!
…crafting offline? Download a PDF of the instructions here…
- Craft tubes or toilet paper tubes (about 5 per dragon)
- Several sheets of brightly colored construction paper in 2 or more colors
- Ruler or straight edge
- Pencil or something to mark on your construction paper with
- Pompoms in several sizes (you may want matched pairs)
- Craft or tacky glue or glue guns
- Felt or colored cellophane (or colored construction paper, whatever works)
- A hole punch (or some other tool for making holes in cardboard)
- Yarn or string
- Two (or more) craft sticks
- Dragon Decorating Bling!
Steps to Make It
- Lay your craft tube on the short side of your construction paper
- Mark the top of the tube on both sides
- Use a ruler to draw a straight line and cut your paper off.
- Glue (or tape) your paper around your craft paper tube
- Fold a second piece of construction paper (we used a contrasting color) in fourths
- Draw your fierce dragon mane on your construction paper and cut it out. Make sure that you have a tab to attach it to the dragon! You should have four mane pieces
- Glue your pieces onto the sides of the dragon’s head. Stagger them a little bit to give some depth
- Cut some fringe and glue it to the back of your dragon’s head to make it Super Fierce!
- Decorate your dragon’s face with scales or patterns (we’ll add the eyes and nose next)
- Use hot glue or tacky glue to glue two medium pompoms to the top of your dragon’s head, just in front of the fringe
- Glue some googly eyes on the front of the pompoms
- Glue two more pompoms to the front of your dragon’s nose. These are its nostrils!
- Cut some flames out of your felt/cellophane/construction paper and glue them into the mouth of your dragon!
- Use your hole punch to make 2 holes in your dragon’s head, straight across from each other.
- Cut 3-4 craft tubes in half to make short tubes.
- Wrap your half tubes with construction paper just like the head!
- Punch 2 holes in each end across from each other (they should line up front to back)
- Use yarn or string to tie the tubes together through the holes (keep the loops loose)
- Decorate your dragon!
- When you’re done, turn your dragon upside-down
- Have a Responsible Adult help you make a slit in the bottom of the head (near the neck) and in one of the last two tubes
- Insert a craft stick into each slit and glue it in place
- Use the sticks to make your dragon puppet move!